I love Asian food – it’s so flavoursome and aromatic. In most cases it’s not that difficult to make either. This recipe is perfect for an easy and healthy weeknight dinner, with a short ingredients list and not much to prep. Serve with veggies and rice on the side.
You will need:
- 380g boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup honey (or more to taste)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar (or mirin)
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil (or olive oil)
- toasted sesame seeds for sprinkling (optional)
- sliced spring onions (optional)
How to make it:
- In a bowl, mix together minced garlic, onion, ground ginger, black pepper, soy sauce, vinegar and honey. Leave aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together corn starch. Add to the spice and vinegar mixture. Leave aside.
- Slice chicken breast into strips.
- Heat a large pan (or wok) over medium high heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Wait a few moments until the oil heats up and place the chicken strips in the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes each side until chicken is browned and cooked through.
- Reduce the heat to medium and pour the sauce mixture over the chicken. Bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously, until sauce has just thickened.
- Serve with rice and steamed broccoli (or other steamed veggies of your choice). Sprinkle sesame seeds and spring onions on top.