Simple, comforting and budget-friendly recipe, great for summer or winter. I’ve never been a big fan of lentils, but I’m starting to change my mind now… Try it yourself.
What you will need:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup red lentils (or green, if you prefer)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- pinch chilli flakes
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded kale
- 1 cup green beens, cut into 3cm pieces, ends removed
- freshly squeezed lemon juice, to taste
How to make it:
- Warm a large pot over medium heat. Add olive oil and when it’s hot, add onions and carrots. Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes, until the onion turns translucent.
- Add cumin, garlic, curry powder and thyme. Stir and cook for 30 seconds. This will release the aromas from the spices.
- Throw in canned tomatoes, stir, and after a few minutes add the lentils and stock. Season with salt and pepper and chilli flakes.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, until lentils are soft.
- Add the kale and green beans and cook for 5 more minutes, until beans are soft.
- Turn off the heat and add lemon juice to your taste. Season with salt/pepper or add more spices to your liking.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Recipe based on Kathryn Taylor’s Spiced lentil soup recipe available at cookieandkate.com.